Friday 28 May 2021

Writing - Cinquain

LI: To understand and practice writing a cinquain.
Our focus for writing was understanding and writing cinquain poems. A cinquain is a poem that has 5 lines. The first line has 1 noun, the second line has 2 adjectives, the third line has 3 verbs (ending in 'ing'), the fourth line has a noun phrase and the last line has 1 noun/adjective.

Our writing objective was to complete and be able to write a cinquain on a famous or popular sports player, and I chose to write a cinquain on the amazing Kobe Bryant. The first line should start with the person's name or the noun, so the first line of the poem was 'Kobe'. 

I chose two adjectives that described him and what he was like, so I chose to use determined and skilled as the adjectives. I then moved on to choosing three verbs that would describe what he does in his sport or what we would see him doing. The verbs I chose were dribbling, eluding and receiving because they are basic actions of basketball.

We moved on to writing the fourth line of our cinquain, which is a noun phrase. A noun phrase is an incomplete sentence based off of a complete idea but gives information on the topic if it is understood. It gives theoretical information about the noun based off of what they really are like. The noun phrase I wrote to represent Kobe Bryant in my cinquain was 'Our warrior on court' because he was corageous and determined.

I found this activity very helpful and fun because I had never written a cinquain before and I can now use my knowledge of cinquain poems to write and use language features later in my life. This was a valuable and enjoyable lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.