Friday 28 May 2021

Polar Bear Cinquain

 LI: To understand and practice writing a cinquain.

Our focus for writing was understanding and writing cinquain poems. A cinquain is a poem that has 5 lines. The first line has 1 noun, the second line has 2 adjectives, the third line has 3 verbs (ending in 'ing'), the fourth line has a noun phrase and the last line has 1 noun/adjective.

Our writing objective was to complete and be able to write a cinquain on polar bears. The first line should start with the noun, so the first line of the poem was 'Bears' because 'Polar' as the first word wouldn't make much sense.

I chose two adjectives that describe polar bears and what they are like, so I chose to use atrocious and barbaric as the adjectives. I then moved on to choosing three verbs that would describe what they do or what you would see them doing. The verbs I chose were hunting, roaming and searching because they are what polar bears do when they look for food.

We moved on to writing the fourth line of our cinquain, which is a noun phrase. A noun phrase is an incomplete sentence based off of a complete idea but gives information on the topic if it is understood. It gives theoretical information about the noun based off of what they really are like. The noun phrase I wrote to represent polar bears in my cinquain was 'Demons of the Cold' because they are very dangerous in the Arctic.

I found this activity very helpful and fun because I had never written a cinquain before and I can now use my knowledge of cinquain poems to write and use language features later in my life. This was a valuable and enjoyable lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.