Friday 18 December 2020

Summer Learning Journey | Day 4 | Activity 3 | Summer Haiku

This Summer Learning Journey activity for day four (the third activity) is to learn about haikus and create your own revolving around summer.

The purpose of this Summer Learning Journey activity is to practice using your ability to use your knowledge and understanding of a topic and write about that. It also encourages you to use your understanding of syllables and rhyming.

A haiku is a short poem containing only three lines with a certain amount of syllables. The first line must have five syllables, the second line must have seven syllables and the last must have five syllables.

My haiku talked about the sound of the ocean waves, the feel of the sand on the beach and the many shells that lie on the sand and ocean floor. I also chose an image that related to summer to fit with the haiku.

I enjoyed creating my own summer haiku. It was also a great opportunity to use my creativity to write an original haiku using my knowledge and understanding of syllables and summer. Next time, I could challenge myself by writing more complex types of poems.

LI: to apply our understanding of syllables and summer to create a haiku.


1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Bella

    Ben here from the SLJ commenting team.

    Thank you for this excellent blog post. The description of your activity is really in depth and helpful for me and the SLJ team, tēnā koe mō tērā!

    I was wondering about your second line though, you seem to have one syllable too many. Hei aha, not a major. I thought I’d share with you this website though.

    https://syllablecounter.net/

    It counts your syllables for your words or sentences. Maybe that will help if you’re ever unsure.

    Mā te wā,

    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.