Tuesday 15 December 2020

Summer Learning Journey | Day 2 | Activity 1 | Kick Start Literacy | Fishing False Teeth

For this activity, we used our creativity and imagination to caption a comic strip.

The first thing we did for this task was view the steps of this activity to get a clear understanding and idea of what we have to do and when we have to do it.

We then read an article about an old man losing their set of fake teeth on a fishing trip (he dropped them in the water). Another man found a different pair of fake teeth and pretended that they were the old man's. The news started to spread but a taxi driver revealed to the world that the man was lying, and it was not in fact the old man's teeth. He talked about how fishermen are practical jokers, and they were actually his wife's teeth.

After reading the article, we filled out a template to help us understand the text more. There were four main characters and we wrote who they were, what part they played in the story and the outcome for those characters. The main characters were Cor Stoop (the man that lost his fake teeth), Hugo Slamat (the fraud), Roel Pool (the taxi driver) and Janet (Roel Pool's wife).

We eventually moved on to watching a video that didn't have any speaking parts to it. There were two old men on a fishing trip. One man lost his fake teeth in the water and was made fun of by the other man. Feeling sorry for the man, the other fisherman took out his own fake teeth and placed them in the mouth of a cod (which he had just caught). He acted as if he had just found the man's fake teeth and gave them to him. The man tried them on, but they didn't feel right. So he threw the fake teeth into the water.

On the next slide, there is a comic strip of images that were in the video. There are empty speech boxes where we can write what they say. We were able to come up with our own captions and use our imagination to create an interesting and unique story.

I really liked creating captions for a comic strip and using my imagination to create an interesting story. I enjoyed taking the opportunity to use my creativity. I think I could improve on thinking of more interesting and original ideas.

LI: to use our imagination and creativity to caption a comic strip.


6 comments:

  1. Hey Bella,

    I’m Daniel from the SLJ Blog commenting team. I’m looking forward to seeing all your amazing blog posts and I hope you’re enjoying your summer.

    Your report on the activity is very well written and detailed, This is excellent for a blog as someone reading it might want to know about the task.

    Your comic was very original and gave me a good chuckle, I like that it builds to a joke at the end and the two old men are quite silly and you made them sound like old friends.

    I like to create interesting stories too and hope to write books and movies soon. Do you have any stories you’ve made that you’d like to share? This blog could be a great place to post up stories and comics over the summer. I'd love to see what you come up with.

    Great blog Bella,
    See you later in the comments.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Daniel!

      I enjoyed reading your positive comment, as it is encouraging and inspiring.I like creating stories that are original and funny because they can hook the audience in and make them curious about what will happen next.

      Over the few years, I’ve written some childish stories. Some stories I’ve even written when I was 6 or 7. I’m not sure If I’d like to share them, mainly because they were written on books or old pieces of paper.

      What are some of your favorite stories and why?

      Ka Kite!

      Delete
    2. Hey Bella,

      Maybe you could write new stories this summer and compare them to you old ones and see how you writing and story-telling has improved, regardless of whether you want to post them up or not but I'd love to see them if you do.

      I still like writing childish stories and hope to make stories for kids one day.
      My favorite stories are big fantasy adventures like 'Lord of the Rings' and The 'Chronicles of Narnia' series. I like the characters and worldbuilding and big fights with good vs, evil.

      What are some of your favourite stories? Have you read the ones I mentioned?

      Daniel

      Delete
    3. Kia Ora Daniel,

      Thank you for taking the time to reply to my comment and give an answer to my question. I would love to compare new and old stories and see how I have improved and what I could work on. It would benefit me as well as the audience.

      Some of my favourite stories are 'The Witches' by Roald Dahl and the 'Harry Potter' series. I like these stories because of the suspense and interesting/unique plots.

      Yes, I have heard of the Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia. They are really cool and attention-catching stories.

      Thank you for comment threading with me. I liked talking about stories and books.

      See you later Daniel!

      Delete
  2. Hi Bella!

    Its great to see you completing the Summer Learning Journey Activities! Your comic strip is well written and it honestly gave me a few laughs. My favorite bit is when after one of the characters found a sock and the other character started to tease him a bit. The dialogue between the two characters makes me understand that you have a creative mind!

    If you were one of the 2 characters in this story, which one do you prefer yourself to be? Like, which character would you most likely relate to and why?

    Keep up your great work throughout the Summer!
    Fau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Fau,

      Thank you for giving such kind and positive feedback! It’s great to see you encouraging others to act on feedback and engage with others. I think I would relate to Bill, mainly because I’m not very good at fishing. In the story, it says that Bill doesn’t understand how to hold a fishing rod properly. This also applies to me.

      Have you done this activity before? If so, what was your comic about?

      I look forward to your reply!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.