Wednesday 16 December 2020

Summer Learning Journey | Day 3 | Activity 2 | Tānerore

For the day 3 activity 2 Summer Learning Journey Activity, I created a Maori kowhaiwhai pattern using the koru shape.

The first thing that we did was watch a video about Tānerore. Tānerore is the son of Tama-nui te-ra. He performs the haka for his mother, Hine-raumati. A Maori myth states that when the weather is hot and sunny, you can see Tānerore performing the haka in the sun.

The koru in the kowhaiwhai pattern that I made represents the ocean's waves in summer. Because the weather is so hot, people visit beaches to cool down. The colors I used for my kowhaiwhai pattern are blue (representing the water) and yellow (representing the sand and the sun).

The koru on the blue side of the draw represents the waves that are far out in the ocean. The koru on the yellow side of the draw represents the small waves that drift across the sand.

I really enjoyed taking the opportunity to create my own kowhaiwhai pattern. I liked listening to the story of Tānerore because I can expand my understanding of Maori history and culture.

LI: to investigate Maori history and create a kowhaiwhai patterns.


2 comments:

  1. Hello Bella,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post about the Kowhaiwhai patterns and about the myth of Tanerore. I liked how you talked a little bit about the Maori myth and history and how you explained the meaning behind your kowhaiwahi design. I really liked the part of how you talked about the korus on the blue side and on the yellow side. Have you ever done anything like this before?

    Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Juel!

      Ka pai for engaging with others even during the summertime. Thank you for the kind feedback and spoke about the specific parts of the blogpost and kowhaiwhai pattern that you liked.

      Yes, I have done a similar activity before. I have created and painted a different kowhaiwai pattern design as part of an art task during term two or three.

      Have you made a kowhaiwhai pattern before?

      Ka kite Juel! I look forward to your reply.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.