Tuesday 15 December 2020

Summer Learning Journey | Day 2 | Activity 2 | Insect Art

The Summer Learning Journey crew created an activity that encourages the participants to be resourceful and create art using things that they manage to find outside.

This activity is called 'Insect Art'. Items and objects like leaves, sticks and flowers can be used to make the certain features of an insect. LS1 searched around PBS to find bits of nature in order to make a certain insect of their choice.

I decided to make a butterfly using leaves and sticks. Instead of taking leaves off of trees, I searched around an area of the school where there are lots of trees and bushes. I found lots of dead leaves and gathered a few for the wings.

To make sure I wasn't killing trees or bushes, I found sticks around the roots of the trees and bushes. There were sticks that were long, short, thick and thin. I used the sticks for the antennas and the body.

I really enjoyed taking the opportunity to be resourceful and creating insect art. I think I could challenge myself by creating a more advanced insect like a dragonfly or a beetle.

LI: to be resourceful and make insect art.


3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Bella, this is Elle from the Summer Learning Journey team.

    Great job creating your insect art!

    I really like your butterfly and that you’ve used natural materials that are all a uniform colour which is really pleasing to the eye! I also like that you chose to use the dead leaves and sticks instead of the fresh ones off the tree; this is a great way of reusing natural materials and giving them a new purpose!

    I really like that you explained your experience as well, and what you enjoyed about the process; it was fun to follow along with your butterfly creating journey! Did you choose to make a butterfly because it is your favourite insect? It’s great to see that you want to challenge yourself with more insects as well!

    Keep up the great work and I’m looking forward to seeing more of your Summer Learning Journey activities on your blog!

    Ngā mihi,
    Elle (SLJ)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Elle!

    Thank you for giving such kind feedback, and I really enjoyed creating this simple artpiece. I chose to make a butterfly because I knew that dead leaves would work really well as wings and sticks would work as a body and antennas. This is a very simple and easy insect to make. I think I could choose a more complicated and complex insect to create next time.

    If you had the opportunity to do this activity, what insect would you make and why?

    Looking forward to your reply!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mōrena Bella, you are most welcome!

    That is awesome to hear; sometimes the more simple insects are fun to make because it’s easy to make your imagination a reality! I really like that you would think about challenging yourself with a more complex insect though - that is a great way to keep learning!

    That is a very good question. I think if I was to create an insect, I would make a bumblebee! I think it would be fun to come up with a way to make the stripes, and to make small wings with a larger body.

    Keep up the great work Bella, it was wonderful to hear back from you.

    Ngā mihi,
    Elle (SLJ)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.