Saturday 9 January 2021

Summer Learning Journey | Week 2 | Day 8 | Activity 2: Tama-nui-te-rā

For this activity (the second activity of day 8), I created a word art using keywords (as well as words that were most important to me) of a Maori proverb.

Proverbs are short and well known phrases that have meaningful messages. For example: Ka tō he rā, ka rere he rā means: The day ends and begins again, and people say that this happens when something goes wrong. Life continues as well as other things.

I started off this activity by choosing a Maori proverb and learning about it by reading a text explanation and researching more about it to get a better understanding of the phrase.

Once I decided on a Maori saying, I thought about multiple keywords relating to the proverb I chose. I also worked out the keywords that were most important to me, and eliminated the ones that didn't relate to me or anything important to me.

Eventually, I created my word art using the keywords that I chose from the Maori proverb. I chose to shape my word art as Earth because the well-knowing saying that I chose applies to everybody in the world.

The proverb that I chose was Tērā te rā e whiti ana kei tua atu Tāwauwau, meaning 'The sun shines beyond the Tāwauwau'. This phrase means that despite the hardships and effort that people put into working, there will always be better days ahead.

I chose this Maori proverb because I can somewhat relate to the saying and I understand the meaning of it very well. It also applies to the rest of my whanau because they work hard to maintain a suitable and healthy environment.

The keywords that I used in my word art were: sun, shining, beyond, Tāwauwau, effort, people, hardships, work, better, days, ahead and forward.

This was a fun activity because I had the opportunity to practice using Maori vocabulary and expanding my knowledge and understanding of proverb meanings. I was also able to practice my writing abilities and making art as well.

What I found challenging was understanding the activity explanation because it was in Maori and I am not a fluent speaker, so completing this activity took longer than expected. However, I enjoyed this activity alot.

LI: to use our Maori vocabulary and writing abilities to create art.


1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Bella, Kiana-Marino here from the Summer Learning journey.

    Ngā mihi ki a koe mō te tohaina mai i ō matauranga mā tēnei whakatauki. Thank you for sharing your knowledge about this māori proverb. I am so proud of you for doing this activity, it must've been easy doing something in another language so ka pai you for doing an awesome job.

    You have produced such cool and creative word art for your proverb. One of the words that stand out to me is the word “better” i think taht sometimes we get caught up in the moment and tend to think that this is it but there is always better out there.

    I think this would be a cool proverb you could teach your family and friends, what do you think?

    Ngā mihi,
    Kiana-Marino (SLJ)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.