Wednesday 6 January 2021

Summer Learning Journey | Day 6 | Activity 2: Te Huarere

The second activity for day six of the Summer Learning Journey programme is a Maori activity relating to weather and revision.

The focus of this activity is to apply our knowledge of the Maori language to expand our understanding of Maori vocabulary usage.

The first thing I did was read a list of weather types in English and Maori. The list included fine/sunny, hot, cloudy and rainy.

Fine/sunny in Maori is paki. Hot (weather) in Maori is pūāhuru. Cloudy in Maori is kāpuapua, and rainy in Maori is hāuaua.

I gave three different answers for the question "He aha te tohu huarere?" meaning "What is the weather forecast?" The answers I gave were "He rangi paki", "He rangi hāuaua" and "He rangi kāpuapua" I included images to give a visual reference of the sentences and weather.

What I most enjoyed about this activity was giving different answers to the question "He aha te tohu huarere?", because I learnt more about the Maori language and when to use it.

I could improve my ability to use Maori more often so that my knowledge of the Maori vocabulary doesn't go to waste.

This was a great opportunity to use my understanding of the Maori language and apply my knowledge of different languages.

LI: to apply our knowledge of Maori vocabulary.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Bella,

    It’s Shannon from the Summer Learning Journey.


    Ka pai on your Te Huarere slide show. I am just learning te reo too, so I found your blog post very helpful. It’s definitely been rainy, cloudy and sunny lately hasn’t it!

    I am on holiday with my family so I asked my mum, “He aha te tohu huarere?” She replied, “He rangi paki.” It looks like we might be going for a swim! What have been you doing over your summer break?

    Maybe you could practice saying your sentence and screen castify it to get more points?

    Ka kite anō,
    Shannon (SLJ)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.