Saturday 9 January 2021

Summer Learning Journey | Week 2 | Day 8 | Activity 3: Camping Site

For the third activity of day eight (of the Summer Learning Journey), I worked out which campsite design would earn the most amount of money if all the tent sites were occupied for one night. 

The focus of this activity is to practice our math skills and challenge our ability to multiply and use logic to find and solve an equation.

First, I observed the two campsite designs to get an understanding of what I had to work with. Both campsites cost $15 to stay for one night. The objective was to find out which of the two campsites were payed the most money if all tent sites were occupied for one night.

I first began to count the amount of tent sites there were in both camp sites. The first campsite design had fifty tent sites and the second had forty-eight tent sites and two toilet blocks. I multiplied the amount of tent sites by the amount of money it cost to stay one night.

The first campsite had fifty tent sites, so 50 x 15 equals 750. The second campsite had forty-eight tent sites, so 48 x 15 = 720. The first campsite earned more money because there were more tent sites to be occupied, but it is possible that the second campsite could earn more money because the campers have the opportunity to use the toilets (which is something that the first campsite doesn't provide).

I had lots of fun completing this activity because I enjoy maths, especially with money. I also liked this activity because I was able to share my strategy and how I worked out the answer with others.

What I found difficult about this activity was understanding the activities explanation and doing the multiplication in multiple different strategies such as algorithm, place value, the Japanese and Lattice method (which was my own choice).

LI: to challenge our maths and multiplication abilities and improve our skills.

 



1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Bella,

    It’s Shannon from the Summer Learning Journey.

    Ka pai on completing your challenge. It looked hard but you did a good job and I’m super impressed. You’re right, you could make $750 from the first camp site, and $720 from the second! Well done calculating these answers and showing your workings. You’re awesome!

    You probably could charge more for the campsite with amenities. How much more do you think you would need to charge each campsite to make more than the site with 50 spots for tents?

    I look forward to hearing back from you!

    Keep up the great work!

    Ka kite anō,
    Shannon (SLJ)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.