Friday 8 January 2021

Summer Learning Journey | Day 7 | Activity 3: Ultraviolet

For the ultraviolet activity on day seven (activity three), I learnt about UV light and indicators. Using a google draw, I created and came up with my own ultraviolet ray indicator.

UV rays (ultraviolet light) are naturally sourced by the sun. However, when a person, animal or thing is exposed to UV rays for too long, it can cause damage like rusting and sunburns.

There are three kinds of UV rays: UV-C, UV-B and UV-A. 

UV indicators identify the strength of the ultraviolet rays. By knowing how strong a UV ray is, it allows a person to know how and when to protect themselves in certain situations with different UV ray levels.

First, I watched a video that explained what UV rays are, the effects of UV rays, what a UV indicator is and its purpose. This helped me get a better understanding of what I had to create and include in my UV indicator.

I created a UV ray indicator wand that uses light sensors to catch UV rays and transmit them to a UV reader, which identifies the type of UV light. It also provides the strength of the UV rays in percentage. The wand's base is made out of strong and flexible glass so the light can pernitrate properly.

This was a really fun activity and I very much enjoyed researching about ultraviolet light, indicators and creating my own indicator.

What I found most challenging or difficult about this activity was thinking about how the UV light indicator would work and manage to capture light.

This was a great opportunity to learn more about ultraviolet and use different comprehension skills to learn something new.

LI: to use different comprehension skills to create a UV light indicator.


1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Bella

    Benjamin here from the SLJ team.
    I just came across this post and thought it looked interesting. I never knew so much about rays, thanks for letting me know. It’s important to know considering our exposure here in Aotearoa. I’m pretty pleased that I haven’t been burnt yet this summer, touch wood!

    I think your design of the wand is so smart. It reminds me of a metal detector, is that where you got the idea from? Also your design drawing is great, it’s so clear and looks really professional, tau ke!
    If you have a chance you should check out some of the new activities. The SLJ is coming to an end this week so make sure to make the most of it while you can and see if you can score you some prizes :)

    All the best Bella, mā te wā
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.