Wednesday 6 January 2021

Summer Learning Journey | Day 5 | Activity 2: Pigpen Cipher

For the second Summer Learning Journey activity for day five, I learnt how to decrypt the pigpen cipher code and use it to write messages.

The purpose of this activity is to learn how to use/encrypt and decrypt using the pigpen cipher code.

The first thing that I did was watch a video that talked about what pigpen cipher is and how to understand it. The video also explained why pigpen cipher has it's specific symbols.

Then I used my understanding of pigpen cipher to decrypt a code to find out which beach had a cave with treasure within it. This part of the activity was called 'Treasure Map'.

I learnt that the first nine letters of the alphabet are put onto a three by three grid in order from A to I. The letters in pigpen cipher are whatever lines of the grid they are touching or closest to.

The next nine letters of the alphabet are also in a three by three grid just like the previous nine letters. They also have the same symbols, however in the middle of each symbol is a dot or circle that indicates that it is the second set of letters.

The next four letters of the alphabet are s, t, u and v. Instead of in a grid, they are separated by the lines of an 'x'. Similar to the first eighteen letters of the alphabet, these letters in pigpen cipher are whatever lines of the 'x' they are touching or closest to.

The final four letters of the alphabet (w, x, y and z) are also separated by an 'x' shape. They have the same symbols as s, t, u and v but have circles in the center to indicate that they are the second set of the letters.

What I most enjoyed about this activity was applying my knowledge of pigpen cipher to encrypt my favorite beach into the code so others could decrypt it and learn more about me (most specifically what I like).

What I found challenging was decipher the name of the beach that had a cave with treasure within it, but I also enjoyed decrypting the code using my knowledge of pigpen cipher.

I found this activity really fun and delightful because I was able to learn a new secret code and I could use my knowledge of pigpen cipher to write messages or communicate with others that know this code.

LI: to learn, decrypt and use the pigpen cipher code.


1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Bella,

    It’s Charlotte here, a commenter for the Manaiakalani Summer Learning Journey. You have done some amazing work on the ‘The Treasure Code’ task

    I see you have provided your own Pigpen cipher challenge, this is what I decrypted from your message! ‘Ohope Beach’. Was I right? What a beautiful beach! My favourite beach is the Ruakaka beach, have you heard of it?

    If you want to get even more points for the Summer Learning Journey, you can give the ‘Step it up’ challenge for this activity a go! You can find this using this link. This requires you to make a copy of the slidedeck (is linked on the SLJ activitiy page) and complete the activities. It then asks you to use Screencastify to explain how to encrypt and decrypt one of the codes in your copy of the slidedeck

    Ngā mihi nui
    Charlotte
    Summer Learning Journey

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.