Thursday 8 April 2021

5 minutes of Camp

LI: To recount a 5 minute snapshot of one experience you had at camp


I can’t do this.’ I trembled on the bench. ‘You’ll be fine’ my teammate reassured me. My legs were quaking as I watched my group member cross the beam confidently. My senses heightened and I could feel myself turning pale as I watched my teammate being lowered to the ground! Shaking in absolute fear, I approached the instructor, still pale. 


‘Click!’ The clip fixed itself on my harness and I forced myself towards the ladder. My legs were already quivering from the thought of being a long way high from the ground. As I steadily placed my foot on the first rung of the ladder, I took a cautious step onto the next rung and from there, my legs moved on their own!


All my trust had been placed in my teammates and instructor, who promised to ensure my safety. I moved quickly and didn’t look down at any cost to stop myself from overthinking too much about how high I was! I saw the high beam coming into view as I climbed higher up, still refusing to look down. It felt like the pillar I was climbing on was shaking along with my legs! My heart skipped a beat!

Soon, I had reached the top and looked down on the beam. I knew I was up high, and the thought of humiliation by not being able to complete this challenge stirred in my mind. I started to feel dizzy and it took a lot of my strength to place my trembling feet on the beam. ‘Don’t look down!’ I heard my teammate call from below me. I snapped back into reality. I started thinking about how I was being watched by crowds of people. My teammates, the instructor and a few teachers!

Then, before allowing myself to overthink, I thought to myself, ‘Baby steps…’ as I placed one shaking leg after the other! I precariously made my way to the other side of the beam. I refused to take my eyes from my feet. Before I knew it, I had reached the end of the beam and almost bumped into it! I began hugging the log that secured one end of the beam in relief. I had never been more happy to hug a log before! ‘Alright, now walk back to the middle of the beam!’ yelled the instructor. Hearing that, I froze. My moment of joy was over.


After taking my time to carefully turn around, I clutched the rope that was clipped to my harness. I was a little more confident knowing that the most terrifying part was over. I knew my group supported me, no matter what I did! My insides screamed in terror as I looked down at the small people below me. Gripping the rope very tightly, I slowly but surely made my way to the middle of the beam.

I knew I had reached the middle of the beam when the instructor called out for me to stop. I heard the instructor ask. ‘Would you like a challenge?’ he yelled. I politely declined then he called out a final time. ‘Alright, time to get you off the beam!’ My face lit up with happiness and I was very proud of what I accomplished. ‘Phew, finally that’s over’ I said to myself.

Last week we went to camp at Kokako Lodge. My 5 minute snapshot shows my personal voice and I have tried hard to paint a picture with my words to describe what I was doing and how I felt.

I found this activity challenging because I tried to keep my story brief as well as interesting however I enjoyed writing this recount.

1 comment:

  1. Namaste Bella
    I like your story about your camp experience on the high beam
    I also made a story about kayaking.
    What was your favourite part of your actvity?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.